Friday, December 19, 2014

The Giver: Pleasure and Pain (chapter 13-16)



A New Beginning
Jonas and the Giver, the only two that know the truth about
the world
     Jonas had started to see colors more often. He sees the reds, greens and all the colors we can see. Also Jonas is trying to make people see his memories, such as Asher and Lily but he is not successful. In one of his sessions with the Giver, Jonas questions himself of the importance of the Receiver, and the Giver explains that the community has them so they were the only ones that felt the real pain of the world and if in time of need, they could consult them for the wisdom of the past memories. Then in another session the Giver finally shows real pain to Jonas, when he returns to the snow sled this time he buckles over and hurts his knees, face and basically almost all of his body. Since that moment on, the Giver gave Jonas some memories of pleasure but he started to give him also memories of pain, real pain. One night mother was complaining of Gabe being unable to sleep and Jonas took care of him for that night. When Gabe awakens, Jonas gave him a memory, by accident, to make him sleep and told no one about it. The next day when he goes to the Annex he finds the Giver in terrible pain and wants to help him, and he gives Jonas a memory of warfare, of death. For the next few days the Giver tries to give Jonas only good memories to apologize about the incident of the warfare memory. By the end of the last chapter the Giver gives Jonas a memory of what I think is Christmas, love and family. And when Jonas sees this he decides to stop taking the pills.  
Jonas and Gabe, both able to see memories

Real Pain
     I had been thinking of the pain that Jonas had been feeling in the Annex. But what really illustrates the pain he feels is:
     “From the distance, Jonas could hear the thud of cannons. Overwhelmed by pain, he lay there in the fearsome stench for hours; listening men and animals die, and learnt what warfare meant.
Finally, when he knew that he could bear it no longer and would welcome death himself, he opened his eyes and was ones again on the bed” (120)
This had left me thinking, what is pain really like. Sometimes I think that when Jonas experienced warfare he was feeling pain physically, but especially emotionally. He should have been devastated by the death of all the people dying around him, and also his own injuries. I feel the same each time I read this quote, I feel as if nothing is worth living for any more. I can´t think of how brave Jonas must be to bear all this. I would have been devastated and I would have wanted to quit, and now I feel that Jonas is the most courageous of all the people I had seen or read of.  
Warfare, the worst memory Jonas had experienced


Final Thoughts
Current day community, one
community I love
     Having reading this chapters make me love my community even more than before. I could not imagine being tormented as Jonas is either. I would not be able to leave everything I had here to something that seems better, for now I know that Jonas community is not as good as it seems. Even if Jonas is tormented I think that the Receiver is fortunate to have the memories, for all the pain there is he or she also feels the freedom and pleasure that no one else feels. I feel that Jonas is completely different from me, except that I too like to care for small children. I will always be remembering this when I think that my community is a disaster, but the reality is that my community is perfect compared to Jonas one ,in my own eyes.       
Jonas community, an emotionless world that I
would hate to live in 


6 comments:

  1. Joaquin, you bring up a very good point by saying that Jonas must be awfully brave to endure all of this overwhelming pain, like you said, both physical and emotional. I agree with you on this. I think I couldn't go back to train to be the receiver of memories after that, I would be traumatised and terribly scared of everything that could cause war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rafaela, I think that you really thought and read my post. I would like to see your blog post of this week too. I think the same way about the memories about warfare, but nevertheless I would like too know if you would have wanted to be released or you would have still be the Receiver.

      Delete
  2. i liked your blog joaquin
    I agree with your point that this community is not as perfect as it seems but i thinks its not that bad either i mean ther is no poverty no war no real pain and the people who live there dont know love, or that they can choose what they want in life so they are happy in the community because they dont know what they are missing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel, I think that both of us have a diffrent opinion.
      If you analyze what Jonas had seen so far, no real feelings are in this world. There is no purpose other than keeping the same way of life as all the other community members. In our case there are some bad things as you stated before, but at least each person is feeling something, and look up to do or have something. Apart from thinking by themselves and having their own purpose in life, even if they made one themselves.

      Delete
  3. Joaquin, I find your blog very enjoyable, what I found very interesting is when you talk about the memories that Jonas is having, I predict that Jonas will understand why the Elders make the community like that (the way they are so strict).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariana, I think that the Elders do try to get everyone in the community to think the same. By doing this they will have a "perfect" society as everyone is perfect. However, why do you say it is strict, and do you think that they think that this is strict for them?

      Delete