Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Giver: The Begining (Chapter 1-4)






Summary:
     The story starts with a plane flying near the community, scaring most of the people. The Speaker says for everyone to take cover and leave their bicycles. Once the plane is out of sight the Speaker tells the community that the Pilot-In-Training will be released for his error. After this Jonas, the protagonist, start telling how the community works. One of this is the nightly routine in which the families share their day feelings with each other. Jonas little sister, Lily, told of how a boy that came from another community had different rules than from their community. The Father told of how a small baby by the name of Gabriel is not up to the standard and some people want to release him, however he want to give him another opportunity. Finally Jonas tells he is apprehensive because of the upcoming ceremony of the Twelve. His parents want Lily to go to sleep so they can talk in private to Jonas to tell him of the Ceremony. They tell him that in the ceremony he is going to be given his Assignment, or job. They tell him o calm down that the Elders have been watching him and were looking for the perfect Assignment for him. After this he starts to calm down and feels more comfortable about the upcoming Ceremony of the Twelve. Later on Father brings baby Gabe to the house so he can have extra support and can stay the in the community. He has light colored eyes like Jonas, while most of the community has dark eyes. Here when Jonas is seeing how they taking care of the baby, he remembers of the time he was playing catch with his best friend, Asher, and out of nowhere it changed. He took the apple home to see if it changed again, but the Speaker told him indirectly that it wasn't allowed to take the apples from the Recreation Area. Later in the story he goes to make some volunteer hours to the House of Old so he can have some time with Asher, as soon the volunteer hours would be over. A worker of the House of the Old told him that they had a release that morning, and that he could help in the bathing center. Their Jonas baths and talks with an old lady of the name Larissa. She tells him that when Roberto was released that morning he looked happy and that he was going to be missed. She tells him of old people that were not as interesting and popular as Roberto and most old fell asleep in their releases, such as the release of Edna. They start to talk of how the Elders could enlarge the Releasing Room so more people could go their, but Larissa says "Right" sarcastically.



Text Response: 
 "Here you are, Lily-billy," he said. "I´ll come help you remove your hair ribbons."
     "Jonas and his mother rolled their eyes, yet they watched affectionately as Lily and her father headed to her sleeping-room with the stuffed elephant that had been given to her as her comfort object when she was born. His mother moved to her big desk and opened her briefcase; her work never seemed to end, even when she was at home in the evening. Jonas went to his own desk and began to sort through his school papers for the evening´s assignment."(19)
     I can connect this to my own childhood as when I was over Lily´s age I always asked for my stuffed animals to my dad and asked him to tug me in for the night. While we went to my room my brother and mother usually felt the same way as Jonas and his mother. Usually when I went to sleep in that tender age, everyone used that time to make the work they did not did when I was awaken. I always asked for a comfort before they tug me, usually it was to be with me when I prayed. Over the years when I became over Jonas age and my uncle tugged up one of my cousins I used the time to make the homework that I did not ended when I was taking care of them. My mother is a lawyer such as the mother of Jonas and always seems to have work even in holidays. In the end everything that happened to tug up Lily happened with me too or I did something like Jonas when I was older.


Final Thoughts:
     After reading chapter 3 and 4 I started to predict what will happen next. One thing that I predict is that in the ceremony of the Twelve, Jonas will be thought to not be given an assignment, but the assignment that will be given to him will be of the Giver. I also think that Jonas will try to change some things as the new Giver. I think that he will be driven away by the Elders as they want to keep everything the same. I would think that this way JOnas will find out what is realising and were people go after being released.    

4 comments:

  1. Joaquin,your response is very well written and it called my attention. The prediction you made it was likely one thought I had that the assignment Jonas is going to have is of being The Giver.Also I dont know if as The Giver you have the power that a president or emperor have to change rules or things of the society like you state above.What I think is That the people behind the speaker are the ones that controll everything in the society and The Giver is more like a very recognized man and wise man that has an important role in the society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After double thinking about your comment, maybe you are right. However wise men have great power if the people look up to them. This could be seen as they look for their guidence and usually let it influence greatly in their desicions.

      Delete
  2. joaquin i really like how you organized your blog and by doing that i can really understand what you are trying to say, i am absolutley in agreement with you about jonas and his assigment because jonas doesnt really focus on only one area so i think he is going to get the assigment of the giver asswell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dome, thanks for your comment, however after reading a little more of the book I think that both of us could have made a bettr prediction. However i think that your comment is thoughtful and I see that you read my blog, so thanks you.

      Delete